After coming to Paris in 1851, Rudolph Koenig trained with the violin maker Vuillaume until 1858, when he launched his own instrument-making business at Place Lycée Louis-le-Grand. Koenig’s workshop participated in Paris’s flourishing activities in scientific research and instrument-making from the 1830s to the 1880s. More specifically, it contributed to the development of acoustics as an independent field of research.
In 1876, the school dropout and trained mechanic Max Hans Robert Kohl founded a workshop for precision mechanics. The company soon grew, and two years later Kohl was already employing nineteen people. He specialized in producing systems and devices for technical and scientific purposes, and supplied laboratories and universities worldwide with his large range of up to 4,000 different products. Dayton Miller, chair of the physics department at Case Western Reserve University, was one of his many clients.
Browse the currently 2009 items in this database here