After coming to Paris in 1851, Rudolph Koenig trained with the violin maker Vuillaume until 1858, when he launched his own instrument-making business at Place Lycée Louis-le-Grand. Koenig’s workshop participated in Paris’s flourishing activities in scientific research and instrument-making from the 1830s to the 1880s. More specifically, it contributed to the development of acoustics as an independent field of research. The workshop was visited by acousticians from across the Western world and exported artifacts throughout Europe and North America, as attested by the presence of Koenig’s instruments in numerous museums and physics departments today.
Contributed by FG | Picture: "Graphical method of observation the mode of vibration of a tuning fork," in: Popular Science Monthly Volume 13 (1878): 167, CC0 | Wikimedia